FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT THE EB2 NATIONAL INTREST WAIVER STARTUP INVESTOR PROGRAM
At Empowered Startups we get a lot of questions about the EB2 National Interest Waiver Program for the United States. Below you’ll see the answers to our most frequently asked questions.
WHAT IS THE NATIONAL INTEREST WAIVER?
The NIW allows applicants to apply to the EB-2 Immigration Program in the United States without having a valid job offer. In other words, the NIW waives the job offer requirement if you can establish that your activities/knowledge could be beneficial to the national interest of the United States. A great example of this is investing in an innovative startup and supporting R&D that is in the national interest of the USA.
WHAT ARE THE Program Qualifications?
- Advanced degree: Bachelor’s degree + 5 years’ work experience in the same field
- The applicant’s work experience must include management experience
- The project must be beneficial to the U.S.
- The applicant must demonstrate that they are a domain expert and/or an innovative entrepreneur or business person capable of growth
- You must provide proof of lawful source of funds used for the investment.
How does the program work?
It’s pretty simple. Empowered Startups supports the applicant by identifying a project of national interest that is also within the applicants domain of expertise and interest, and then facilitates demonstrating that 1) the project they would like to do in the United States has substantial merit and national importance; 2) that the applicant is well-positioned to conduct the project; and 3) the applicant has the necessary business incubation support to potentially create positive impact in a specific area that is in the national interest of the USA.
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF THIS PROGRAM?
- Applicants obtain a Green Card (permanent residence status) in USA for themselves and family members
- Dependents included:
- Spouses are welcome
- Children under 21 are welcome
- The right to live, work, and study in the USA
- There is no language requirement
- Extremely fast processing time
- Direct pathway to United States citizenship after 5 years
WHAT KIND OF INVESTMENT IS NEEDED?
- Startup investment of at least $300,000 USD
- A significant part of the investment (at least 75,000 USD) must be reserved for R&D for your project
- Research and Development must be supported by governmentally backed U.S. research facilities
- Main applicant must own 100% of the legal entity conducting the business and innovation project in the U.S.
WHAT IS THE PROCESS?
- Submit the completed application forms and required documents to Empowered Startups
- Schedule an intake interview with Empowered Startups and be accepted into the program
- Work alongside Empowered Startups to obtain the National Interest Waiver
- File for the immigrant visa/adjustment of status allowing the applicant and family members to get their green cards
- The application processing time varies
- Typical processing time is within 12-16 months for countries not experiencing backlog
HOW DO I APPLY?
Apply on our website here: https://empoweredstartups.com/eb2-visa-information-request/
About Empowered Startups
Empowered Startups is an Innovative Startup Incubator and foundry headquartered in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. With offices in Canada, France, and Portugal, we train/mentor/ and network entrepreneurs to successfully launch new businesses in diverse markets. As a foundry we also conceive, build and launch our own products and solutions.
Empowered Startups is recognized by the Canadian Government as a designated start-up business incubator and is known internationally for growing ideas into sustainable businesses using both a virtual and on-site model. Empowered Startups mentors, accelerates, and incubates innovative domestic and global business ideas. Our training tools and mentorship are used and recognized by leading global university labs, Startup incubators, and innovation hubs.
Notable EdTech products under the Empowered Startups Umbrella: Young Empowered Startuppers (YES) – A fully integrated e-learning platform for high schools that guides teachers and students on an innovative entrepreneurial journey starting with an idea and ending with a viable and pitch ready venture, and Empowered Nations – providing specialized entrepreneurship training, mentorship, and tools through an Indigenous lens.