In July, the Canadian government announced a new option for H-1B visa holders in the US to receive expedited work permits to live and work in Canada for at least three years. The new program opened to 10,000 applicants for the year, but within 24 hours, the new program had met its quota. This means thousands of people didn’t get an opportunity to even apply for the program.
Alternative to the H-1B Visa in the US
There are, however, other ways for H-1B visa holder in the United States to make their way to Canada, without worrying about the latest visa caps. By pivoting to the Start Up Visa program, and partnering with Empowered Startups, H-1B visa holders will have even better opportunities to live and work in Canada and bring their families with them. Here are the top five reasons H-1B visa holders should consider the Start Up Visa program:
- Immigration policies in the United States are changing the likelihood you’ll be approved for an H-1B visa. While popular for years, only 14.6% of all applicants for the Fiscal 2024 year will be approved according to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) figures. More than 780,000 applications were submitted.
- The Start Up Visa for Canada hasn’t hit any caps so the likelihood of getting approval is much higher than in the United States.
- Bring your family with you to settle in Canada – with universal healthcare for permanent residents and citizens, a culture of diversity and inclusion, and excellent public education, it’s the perfect place to bring your business.
- Canada’s recently launched Tech Talent Strategy is providing additional resources to attract tech talent from around the world.
- Empowered Startups can help you through the whole process from applications through successful incubation of your business. With more than a decade of experience, Empowered Startups is ready to help you achieve your business goals!
With less and less certainty of getting approved for an H-1B visa in the United States, the Start Up Visa in Canada is a viable and exciting option for entrepreneurs around the world. Find out how Empowered Startups can help you apply today.